There have been quite a few Pinterest postings lately in the paleo feeds about banana pancakes and after you’ve tried them, it’s easy to see why. Paleo banana pancakes are delightful – they’re light and sweet… and eggy. That last part was a problem for me. I don’t do “eggy” – it’s weird but I just can’t do it. Especially when combined with something as juicy as smashed, cooked banana.
To remedy this, I decided to take matters into my own hands and add a little extra something: Ground golden flax seed. And spices. The end result was a pancake so delicious that I didn’t even need any organic maple syrup. So, turn on some “Banana Pancakes” by Jack Johnson and I hope you enjoy these as much as I do!
Paleo Banana Bread Pancakes
Yields: 5-6 small pancakes (one serving)
- 2 large organic eggs, beaten
- 1 ripe organic banana, mashed
- ¼-1/3 cup golden flax meal
- ¼ tsp (plus maybe a bit more, depending on taste) ground cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg and allspice
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Spoon pancake mix into skillet and wait to flip – these pancakes will not bubble like normal pancakes. Instead, the glossy will go away – check the bottom of the pancake with a spatula for a golden brown color.
- Flip and cook on the other side until golden brown. Inside of pancakes will be a more wet due to the mashed banana. Cook at a lower heat if a drier pancake is desired.
- Serve with a side of gluten-free bacon (because why not?) and enjoy!