I recently purchased a bunch of grass-fed beef and the cow is in process so… I have to clean out my freezer. Which means I eat my older beef as quickly as possible. Makes a lot of sense, doesn’t it? This morning it was taco meat. I ate it with some scrambled eggs and guacamole for a delish high-fat/high-calorie meal (it’s cold, windy and rainy over here in Western Oregon). I guess you could say I’m jonesing for more tropical climates… or San Diego. Which ever is cheapest.
Okay. So, here’s my super easy recipe. I make a whole bunch of it up at once and buy my spices organic and in bulk. There are probably places that you can do this from wherever you live. Here in Portland, we have Bob’s Red Mill over in Milwaukie. They have bulk organic spices and really reasonable prices. I buy my own spice jars and have cute labels. Heck. I even alphabetize my spices. Don’t judge me. You know you do it, too. First and second letter. I need a life. 😛
Okay, so once I’ve made a mega batch of taco seasoning mix, I dump it in a half-pint mason jar and put a lid on it. I mark on the lid my ratio – 1 ½ tbsp mix (sometimes I feel like having a bit more zip and throw a bit more in) to a half cup of water. Below is the recipe for a single batch and is for a pound of beef. If cooking more beef, simply double, triple, etc the recipe. When I make my large quantities, I usually make 6 batches at once – those are included in the parenthesis. Enjoy!
Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 tbsp chili powder (6 tbsp)
- 2 tsp dried minced onion (4 tbsp)
- 1 tsp sea salt (2 tbsp)
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin (3 tbsp)
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes (1 tbsp)
- 1/8 – ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (¾ tsp to 1 ½ tsp)
- ¼ tsp dried oregano (1 ½ tsp)
- Mix the seasoning and seal in a air-tight container.
To make taco meat:
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning mix (may be a bit scant if you are using less cayenne pepper)
- 1 pound lean, grass-fed organic ground beef
- ½ cup water
- Brown 1 lb beef in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Drain fat if desired. (I leave it in, personally.)
- Toss in taco seasoning mix and water and stir until incorporated.
- Simmer on medium-low until water is evaporated.
- Serve immediately.
Note: I included the tag for nightshade-free because spices affect most people differently than the actual fruit or vegetable. If you are still sensitive to peppers and this includes spices, disregard this recipe.