So the scramble itself wasn’t anything to write home about. The fresh veggies were delicious but some of my younger siblings thought I was trying to poison them. (Broccoli and spinach and onion in eggs? Who would do that?!)
But the sausage…
The sausage was fabulous. And a definite “make again” recipe. If you’re on this diet, processed foods are a major No-No. Which means prepared sausages, even if they’re minimally processed, are off limits. Combine that with the fact that this diet requires you to know ever. single. ingredient. So anything with the abstract “natural flavors” or “spices” really doesn’t help too much. And sausages like to throw in soy, gluten, bell pepper, and some sort of dairy product into the mix. If you’re crunched for time, choosing a freshly made sausage – like the ones you get at Whole Paycheck (aka Whole Foods) or some gourmet grocery store where the butchers made them that morning and they can tell you every ingredient, is your best alternative. Otherwise, stock up on hormone-free organic ground chicken and get ready for a sausage making marathon.
Another little tidbit: I like to buy my chicken in “bulk”. I’ll buy a few pounds and mix up the sausage at once. I’ll put it in a glass casserole dish with a bit up olive oil rubbed around it and bake it at 350 Fahrenheit until a meat thermometer reaches 160 Fahrenheit. After it’s cooled, I’ll break it up and put it into freezer bags and freeze it. Totally a major time-saver.
Egg and Vegetable Scramble
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp cold-pressed olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 chives, diced
- 1/3 cup organic broccoli, blanched and diced
- 3 big handfuls of organic baby spinach, rinsed
- 4 organic eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 chives, diced (optional)
- ¼ pound chicken sausage (recipe below)
- Saute onion and garlic over medium heat until onions are translucent and starting to caramelize.
- Blanch the broccoli and drain. Dice and set aside. Add diced chives and spinach. Cover until spinach is wilted.
- Add broccoli and chicken sausage and stir. Add beaten eggs. Cover the pan for a few minutes to let the eggs steam set. (About 2-3 minutes.) Remove the lid and stir the eggs until done.
- 1 pound organic ground chicken
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1/3 tsp nutmeg
- Mix all of the ingredients until just blended, being careful to not over stir. (The meat will become tough.)
- Cook until no pink is shown in a skillet. Or bake in a glass dish, rubbed down with olive oil, at 350 Fahrenheit until a meat thermometer reads 160 Fahrenheit.