It’s game day. Which means that yummy and healthy snacks are a necessity. And, in case what team I hold allegiance to, well… let’s just say, I love my Ducks!
(Obligatory Duck fan Youtube video below.)
I’m donning my “I love my Ducks” t-shirt and Duck earrings. Bring it. They’re playing Cal and there’s only one state I dislike more than Washington when it comes to football – California. (Sorry to all of my Cali readers – I like you guys otherwise and am completely jealous of your year-round exposure to Vitamin D.)
Since my whole family went gluten-free earlier this year, we’ve been struggling to find gluten-free snack foods for game day that were still junky enough to qualify as game day food but that were also healthy. It’s a delicate balance. And I think these almonds hit the mark. Especially when it’s cool, crisp, and overcast outside. (Seriously. It’s only supposed to get up to 45 here today.)
The recipe was adapted from a Halloween baking exchange I went to. The original called for raw almonds, I used roasted and cut down the oven-time by 10 minutes. Also, the original called for pre-made pumpkin spice mix. Due to diet restrictions, I have to make my own spice blend (and I do love my pumpkin spice blend). I loved these almonds so much – I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
Pumpkin Spice Almonds
- 2 cups raw almonds
- ¼ cup raw, local honey
- 1 ½ tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp organic vanilla exract
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix spice blend, except the salt, in a separate bowl.
- Add the almonds and mix until coated.
- Spread out on a jelly roll pan, lined with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Sprinkle the almonds with sea salt.
- Bake in then oven for 18-20 minutes, checking often to make sure they don’t burn.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Store is a sealed container.