If I had known mayo was this easy to make, I would have stopped buying Best Foods/Hellman’s years ago. (And, no – I haven’t bought it for a few years anyway.) The flavor is a bit different than the conventional brands as mine was soy-free and the oils are different. But it’s creamier and nuttier.
My only tip for you – pour the oil very very very slowly. As in very very. A few drops at a time kind of very. This will allow the oil to be blended in completely and won’t break apart the fragments that give it that wonderful floral bouquet once it hits the tongue. Break them apart and… well, it’s nasty, bitter and you’ll want to dump it out.
On to the eggs – farm eggs are the best. Soy-free, organic and free-range. If your local farmer doesn’t wash the eggs first, make sure you do prior to cracking them – and really, this only needs to be done if your eggs have visible dirty spots on them. Which, at that point, if your eggs are crazy dirty, the farmer isn’t tending to his nesting boxes very well and you might want to find a new farmer.
So here’s my recipe. And my roomies had better watch out – I might be dumping their Best Foods/Hellman’s. But it’ll be doing them a favor. No more excess estrogen from the soybean oil and no more nasty fillers. Just good ol’ simple and real foods ingredients.
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- ½ cup macadamia nut oil or avocado oil (both cold-pressed and extra-virgin)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Whisk all the egg yolks, lemon juice, sea salt, vinegar and dijon mustard together until well blended.
- While continuing to mix (a hand blender, set on low works best), slowly drizzle the macadamia nut oil, a few drops at a time and blend until completely incorporated. Repeat until all oil is done.
- Next, add the olive oil, blending a few drops at a time, with a hand whisk, until all incorporated.
- Stores in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Like what you see?
Subscribe to my bi-monthly newsletter and never miss the latest information!