Fresh citrus in the winter is one of my favorite things. It’s dreary here in NW Oregon and the cloud cover and constant drizzle (this year it’s just cold, not a lot of drizzle), really puts a damper on the mood. It’s no wonder people around here take Vitamin D supplements, fake-and-bake and become snowbirds to beat the winter blues. I’m a fan of Vitamin D and take a large dose of it a day. I’m also a fan of eating happy fruit. I don’t know why, but I consider citrus happy fruit. This breakfast dessert is fantastic. And super easy to make. So easy, in fact, that most people will think you slaved over it when they eat it. When they make those comments, smile sweetly and say “Thank you” – this recipe will be our little secret. Unless you decide to share it with them.
For the crust, I use Danielle Walker’s, of Against All Grain, honey graham pie crust. It’s good. It’s easy. And it hasn’t failed me yet. If you don’t know who she is, check her out. Her story is fascinating and an inspiration to those of us with digestive health problems. I had the pleasure of meeting her a few months back – she’s so sweet and if I lived in San Fran, I’m sure she and I would be the best of friends. Or so I tell myself. She’d also have to share with me where she gets her shoes. They were so totally cute.
If you have never segmented and cleaned a grapefruit, here’s a short little video to help you out. It’s super easy. And looks fantastic. I squeeze the remaining fruit meat and drink it for a bit of fresh juice.
And my sister being a super-nerd and getting excited for dessert:
Enough of my rambling, on to the recipe:
- One honey graham pie crust
- 1 package organic pasture-raised cream cheese, softened (8 oz)
- 1/3 cup creme fraiche (it’s bacteria cultured – and is sold at Trader Joe’s for a reasonable price)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tbsp grapefruit zest
- 3 cups fresh grapefruit segments
- Coarse sea salt
- Prepare the crust, per Danielle’s instructions on Against All Grain. If you don’t have a torte pan, use a spring form pan. Let the crust cool and leave in the pan.
- For the filling, combine the cream cheese, creme fraiche, honey, ginger and grapefruit zest and mix at medium speed with a mixer until smooth.
- Spread mixture over crust.
- Line grapefruit segments on filling to cover.
- Sprinkle coarse sea salt over tart, slice and serve immediately.