I Love Arugula Salad and Herb BBQ’d Chicken
Arugula just might be the best leafy green out there…. beside baby spinach. It’s spicy, the texture is pleasant, and it’s spicy. So when a friend of mine celebrated his 30th birthday on Sunday with a BBQ and I knew there were going to be a few paleo (or modified) people there, arugula salad seemed to be the logical choice. And it’s vegan.
For those friends who asked for this recipe, this one’s for you.
But really, the rest of you should make this salad – it’s fabulous. The recipe is from my Mom so I take no claim to this one. But, really, it’s fabulous. Times ten.
As for the chicken, well, here you go to my friends who asked. It was yummy. And I ate too much – but when you eat paleo, eating too much doesn’t really exist in your vocabulary.
Arugula and Onion Salad
- ½ onion, chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ to 1 tsp sea salt, to taste
- 6 cups organic baby arugula, rinsed (or pre-rinsed)
- Saute onion over medium heat in half of the olive oil until translucent and just starting to caramelize.
- Add remaining olive oil and allow to sit for a minute longer and let the onions cool slightly, stirring so all of the oil is incorporated with the onions.
- Toss with the arugula in a large bowl and add sea salt, to taste.
- Serve while onions are still a bit warm.
- That’s it! Seriously.
Herb BBQ’d Chicken
- 6 organic, free-range chicken thighs
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh organic,thyme, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh organic rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Mix the marinade together until blended.
- Toss all of the ingredients in a container (plastic ziploc, glass dish and cover with plastic wrap, or a plastic container) and allow to sit for about an hour in the fridge.
- Throw on the BBQ until juices run clear and the meat is cooked, about 4 minutes on each side. Unless you happen to have a Traeger (smoker BBQ) – let it sit a bit longer and that’s even better.